DlY Space Gift Shop - Doll STEM Camp 2018
Whether it's shopping for a souvenir or picking out a postcard for a friend back home, the Doll STEM Camp Gift Shop is full of gifts galore!
Astronaut figurines, model rockets, and space books are just a few items the store has to offer. Help your doll find the perfect gift to remember camp as we craft the gift shop!
Scrapbook Paper or Cardstock
8 large, wooden beads
Wood decals or stickers (optional)
Paint and paint brush
Four 7.5 inch long dowel rods
Hot Glue Gun
X-acto Knife or cutting tool
*Always have a parent's permission when working with sharp or hot objects.
1. Print the Gift Shop Checkout printable and cut on the black line. The template is two separate pieces, so attach them on the dotted line with tape. Trace the template onto foam board, and carefully cut 3 pieces. While you have your foam board and cutting tools, cut a 18 x 8 inch rectangle. This piece will be used later on in the craft.
2. Paint your wooden beads the color of your choice. Add different shades and speckles of paint to resemble planets.
3. Position your beads before gluing them in place- two in the back corners, and two on the front curves.
Glue into place.
4. Cut 4 dowel rods, each measuring 7 1/2 inches in height. Mark on the base where they will be attached. This will serve as support for the rest of the countertop.
Glue into place.
5. Glue your second countertop piece onto the dowel rods. This piece will be visible, so you may choose to paint or cover the top with paper.
6. Glue the rectangle cut earlier to the back of the check out counter.
7. Cover the front with scrapbook paper. I found it easiest to start at the top edge and glue, then repeat on the bottom.
8. Glue the remaining four beads on the countertop
9. Secure the final countertop piece in place with hot glue.
10. This step is completely optional, but for an extra touch, you can trim the edges with ribbon and add stickers on the front.
Now that the center of the gift shop is complete, let's fill your shop with fun items. Postcards are a great way to stay in touch with friends far away, and they can be found at gift shops everywhere!
Print out STEM-inspired postcards from the Postcard Printable. Cut out the cards and use a glue stick to attach the front and back sides.
For the figurine display, you can use a small box or doll table. However, this paper mache star was only 99¢ at Hobby Lobby! After being painted, it makes the perfect display stand. I glued a few shelves on the front to showcase the postcards.
These astronaut figurines are awesome "gifts" for the dolls! I purchased a set from Hobby Lobby, and they can also be found on Amazon. They look almost exactly like the one included in Luciana's Souvenir Set from American Girl!
You can even add doll items already on hand to your gift shop, such as t-shirts, accessories, etc. On display in my shop is the Mini Galaxy Dress from Little Gloriana.
Once your doll has finished shopping, she'll need something to tote her purchases! These doll-sized gift bags can be found at Hobby Lobby. Cut out the Doll STEM Camp Logo from the Gift Bag Printable and glue on the front. Fill the bag with tissue paper, and your gift shop will be open for business!
Tip: Hang up the posters from Wednesday's Space Bedroom Craft for extra decorations.
Camp Conversations - Episode 2
Today's Camp Conversation is inspired after an excerpt from Luciana by Erin Teagan.
After settling into their bunks for the summer, the campers visit the STEM Camp Gift Shop in search of souvenirs.
"Wow!" Meg exclaims.
All the girls gasp as they enter the gift shop, and scatter in different directions. Meg and Johanna admired a shimmering galaxy dress, while Luciana and Ella pick out postcards.
"Look, Ella." Luciana held up a postcard with a hopeful smile. "Isn't this one cute? My best friend back at home would love it!"
Ella glanced over, a small smile at the edge of her lips. "Oh, yeah. Nice." Her gaze then returned to the postcard in her own hands.
"Are you going to send one to your friend, too?" Luciana asked.
Ella looked away for a minute, then replied, "My best friend moved away several months ago. In fact, we're not even best friends anymore. She hasn't returned my calls or texts, probably because she's too busy with her new friends..." Ella trailed off, her eyes shining with tears.
Luciana moved closer. "I'm sure she misses you, Ella."
Just for a moment, Ella smiled hopefully at Luciana. However, quickly straightening her shoulders with a sniff, she snapped back to the tough, old Ella, the one Luciana met on Check-In day. "You don't know that Luci. Maybe she doesn't miss me after all."
Before Luciana could reply, Ella swiftly turned on her heel and walked away.
Leaning against the gift shop check-out, Luciana sighed. Would she and Ella ever become friends? Most of all, would Ella even let her try?
Follow along to see Luciana’s STEM Camp Story unfold!
When crafting, improvise and create using what works best for YOU! At the end of each camp craft, we'll be sharing ideas for alternative materials.
Another Checkout Counter option is to cover a small box with scrapbook paper. This is easy and quick if you prefer not to craft extensively. Follow the steps in this tutorial, but modify as needed for the box.
Substitute beads for plastic bottle caps
Camp posts will be shared on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of each week.
This Sunday is the first Camp Recap!
If you complete a craft or want to share a photo of your doll at camp, snap a picture and send it in or share on Instagram using the hashtag #DollSTEMCamp2018 to be featured in the Camp Recap each Sunday!
#stemdoll #STEMCamp #DollSTEMCamp2018 #stemcampforkids #girlsinstem #dollstemcamp #DollSTEMCamp #americangirlSTEMdoll #STEM #lucianaspacecamp #lucianavega2018 #americangirllucianavega #aglucianavega #americangirlluciana #lucianabedroom #2018luciana #lucianaspaceroom #lucia #lucianabedding #lucianavega #giftshop #spacecampgiftshop #christmascrafts #superbowldollcrafts #hugeagcraft #agcrafts